GRIEF AND LONG TERM CARE (LTC): SUSTAINING WELLBEING
CHPCA Satellite – Thursday, September 19th 8:30 – 12:30
This 4-hour session will explore a model and practical strategies to address staff needs. The exercises presented will help cultivate awareness and respond to grief in the workplace.
This session will appeal to staff working in LTC. We will examine the impact on staff of working with individuals and families experiencing chronic illness, dying and death. Recognizing that grief is naturally present in the workplace, we will honour the simultaneous joy and suffering that may be present. Central to this discussion will be how to strengthen self-awareness and self-kindness; sustain meaning in your work; and create compassionate and resilient teams.
- Develop and strengthen self-awareness and self-compassion as a central link to well-being
- Recognize, attend and respond to suffering that surrounds us
- Strengthen, cultivate and sustain meaning in everyday work
- Explore how communication and rituals can foster team connectedness
- What is your Why?
- Definitions/Concepts (grief, mourning, bereavement) – normalize grief in the context of LTC
- Early Death Experiences
- Window of Tolerance & Model of Integration
- Emotions (Tea & Sympathy/Pluchik)
- Debrief (Skills in impact debrief/facilitation)
- Reflective Healing (Poems/55 word story/letter to myself)