Challenging Issues Panel
September 21st, 2019
13:45 — 15:15
Newbrigde II & III (Simultaneous Interpretation Provided)
OPPORTUNITIES AND POSSIBILITIES: EXPLORING THE UPDATED PAN-CANADIAN FRAMEWORK FOR ADVANCE CARE PLANNING (ACP)
- Laurel Gillespie, ACP in Canada, Program Director, Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association
- Chad Hammond, PhD, ACP in Canada, Program Manager, Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association
- Eman Hassan, Acting Executive Director, BC Centre for Palliative Care
- Sharon Kaasalainen, Professor, School of Nursing, McMaster University; Project Lead, Strengthening a Palliative Approach in Long Term Care
The ACP National Framework and Implementation Guide was created in 2010 to support related programs, activities, and standards. Since then there have been numerous developments in ACP awareness, policy, practice and research. Consequently, a multifaceted consultation process took place to review and update the Framework toward a pan-Canadian approach to ACP, in the spring and summer of 2019.
During this session, we will share the revision process and content of the updated Framework and unpack the various components. We will also engage the audience in interactive discussions on the Framework’s implications for practice, policy and system transformation. Through engagement and sharing of ideas, we will seek practical ways to close the opportunity gap and to advance the uptake of ACP in Canada.
- Describe the principles and values underpinning the updated Framework for ACP in Canada.
- Explain the interconnected elements of the Framework.
- Describe the Framework’s applications with diverse communities and organizations in Canada.
- Identify responsive strategies to support the Framework’s implementation and evaluation.